Dr R. Matira Taikato
FRANZCP MRCPsych MBChB(Otago)
I am a psychiatrist with over 30 years experience in mental health. I have worked in New Zealand, Scotland and Australia which provides solid foundations to manage a broad spectrum of psychiatric conditions and mental health issues. I understand that people sometimes need assistance to navigate the challenges that life presents. In my clinical practice, I use active listening skills and maintain respectful, transparent communications. This aids me to support individuals and families with their concerns. I work closely with other professional colleagues to optimise the treatment and care that I provide for people.
I am committed to:
- Assisting people to live a rich and full life
- Treating people with respect and honouring their dignity
- Professionalism with integrity and kindness
- Providing evidence-based care
- Working collaboratively
Who do I see?
I assess and treat people aged 18-65 years who suffer with:
- Anxiety conditions
- Mood disorders incl. depressive illnesses and bipolar affective disorder
- Psychotic illnesses
- Psychiatric illnesses with co-existing substance misuse
What are my special interest areas?
- Early intervention for younger people aged 18-30 years
- Women’s mental health, including those related to pregnancy and childbirth
- Mental illness with co-morbid substance misuse
- Transcultural issues
- Working with families
What other skills training do I use?
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Systemic therapy to work with families and couples
- Biological therapies e.g. medication
What models of care do I use?
- A Recovery oriented approach
- A Strengths based model
- Early intervention strategies
- Integrated biopsychosocial model
I am a fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists and a member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in the United Kingdom. I am fully registered with the Australian Health Practitioners Registration Authority.